After two successful summer school sessions in 2010 and 2011, Oxfam Novib once again organizes a summer school on Women, Peace and Security in The Hague, the Netherlands this year.
The summer school is organized in cooperation with the Grotius Centre for International Law (Leiden University), Oxfam Novib partner Women’s Initiative for Gender Justice, foreign policy think tank Clingendael and the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs. It will take place on June 4-5th, 2012.
The application procedure is open now
The summer school on Women, Peace and Security targets women and men who seek to include women in active (political) participation and peace building efforts. The main objective of the training is to strengthen individual women, men and their organizations to enable more inclusive and effective peace building, and to facilitate networking. Individuals from conflict-affected areas, staff from organizations advocating for the implementation of a women, peace and security agenda, and those from other inclusive conflict transformation efforts are welcome to participate.
The training will consist of five modules:
- Explanation of concepts about conflict, conflict transformation and prevention;
- Knowledge building around relevant United Nations Security Council Resolutions on Women, Peace and Security and international Human Rights framework and mechanisms to demand these rights.
- Sharing, analysis and discussion of obstacles, successes, dilemmas and challenges to include women in active (political) participation and peace building, based on the experiences of the participants.
- Training module on tools and skills for communication and negotiation and advocacy.
- Debate with external stakeholders to understand different roles, discuss dilemmas and facilitate networking.
For more information and the draft program, please visit the page dedicated to the Summer School on Women, Peace and Security, on the Grotius Centre's website.
For those in need of financial support, a limited number of scholarships are available - you must apply by 9 April for these. The general deadline for applications is 20 April. You can register online: registration for the Summer School on Women, Peace and Security.
For questions please contact Liesbeth van der Hoogte, conflict advisor at Oxfam Novib (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Oxfam's campaign on Conflicts and disasters
Issues Oxfam works on: Gender justice